What will you be doing?
Mechanical engineers at frog deliver innovative design solutions for our clients. These responsibilities cover all phases of product development, from brainstorming and evaluating product concepts through troubleshooting and support on the factory floor. This role requires attention to the big picture and the details that make a difference.
As a Mechanical Engineer, you have the opportunity to influence your own development and pursue your interests across functions and geographies, your job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point.
Your fellow frogs will rely on you in these aspects:
- Understanding – be able to fully engineer a product from idea to production and furthermore be able to understand, evaluate and communicate conflicting project requirements that are beyond those related directly to the mechanical design. Examples of these requirements are market, manufacturing, distribution, etc. Resolve these in a successful design that meets the client’s requirements.
- Innovation – effective problem solving, to address whatever challenge may arise.
- Perspective – working smart, balancing numerous constraints and driving to the best and most appropriate design.
- Communication and collaboration – with frogs, clients, suppliers, and others.
- Execution – strong performance of core engineering tasks, such as 3D CAD modelling, analysis, and documentation.
We want you to have:
- BSME or similar educational background.
- Experience and knowledge of mechanical design and documentation with 5+ years primarily in consumer electronics or Medical devices or similar products.
- Expert In 3D CAD modeling: solid, surface and assembly (SolidWorks, FUSION, PTC ). Ability to draw 2D technical documentation.
- Experience and knowledge of manufacturing processes and design constraints for common manufacturing processes such as injection molding, sheet metal stamping, machining, and casting.
- Depth knowledge and experience on Rapid prototyping technology as well as on model building with other method such wood, foam core and basic metal structure.
- Basic understanding and experience on electronic protype technique (I.e. Arduino).
- Passion for industrial design and experience with:
- Product requirements definition processes, user need-finding, concept evaluation.
- Design for Manufacturability (DFM) and Design for Assembly (DFA) for both high and low volume products.
- Cost estimating (COGS) and analysis, Bill-of-Material (BOM) preparation.
- Cross-process design comparisons (tooling limitations, cost, lead times, etc).
- Polymer part design (injection molding, blow molding, vacuum forming, etc).
- Sheet metal part design (stamping, forming, progressive dies, etc).
- Mechanism design and analysis.
- Dynamic and kinematic analysis.
- Electronic enclosure design considerations (thermal management, EMI, ESD, etc).
- Understanding of electronics and software design.
It would be a bonus if you had experience with:
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA), handbook stress analysis and an understanding of shock and vibration effects.
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA).
- Design verification and validation testing.
- Supplier qualification and manufacturing liaison.
- Quotation preparation and analysis.
- Manufacturing process documentation (assembly or test procedures, etc.).
- Shipping and packaging requirements.
- Product qualification and agency requirements (UL, FCC, CE, FDA, etc.)
About the frog Center of Excellence:
The frog Center of Excellence in Milan is a newly established unit, that collaborates with frog and Group teams globally, providing high calibre innovation, strategy and design expertise, with specific focus on convergent design.
The team is working with Global 100 brands like GE, Samsung and AXA, across key industries like healthcare, Telco and Media, to drive continuous business reinvention and innovation toward the cutting edge.
- As part of your application, please include a link or PDF of your portfolio of recent work, highlighting your abilities and experience relevant to the role, with specific examples of how you work, think, collaborate, and contribute to great design outcomes. Please note that we are unable to accept any applications without a portfolio.
Equal Opportunities at frog
frog is an Equal Opportunity Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender identity/expression, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
frog is a global business with teams working across the world. To help us process your application, please ensure that your application documents (CV, cover letter, portfolio, etc.) are all in English.